Sweet, juicy, delicious… These are just some of many qualities of tomatoes 😉 Except for having amazing organoleptic features, tomatoes are also beneficial for our health.
Here’s a few reasons why:
- ♠ they are very low in calories (15kcal/100g),
- ♠ they have a high ORAC score (Oxygen Radical Absorbance Capacity), thanks to the high content of vitamin C, beta-carotene, and lycopene,
- ♠ they are a great source of potassium, essential for the nerve impulses conduction and muscle contractions,
- ♠ they have a positive effect on cardiovascular system, they lower the risk of clots,
- ♠ they lower the risk of developing cancer and some of the neurological disorders, like Alzheimer’s.
It’s important to point out that the ORAC score of processed tomatoes is much higher than the one of fresh tomatoes. That’s why we recommend adding concentrated tomato paste to your soups and sauces.